ORC Week 4: A SOUTHERN SLEEPING PORCH
We are in Week 4 of the ORC and our southern sleeping porch build out. This week we are focusing on building the pallet day bed.
For those of you following along on the Spring 2017 One Room Challenge, this is a link where you can check at all the participants in the 2017 ORC hosted by House Beautiful and Linda @Calling It Home.
WEEK 4: PROGRESS REPORT
So my rug saga continues….. the replacement for southern sleeping porch rug I ordered has been placed into the room for me to look at, but it just is not working for me. I truly had my heart set on the other rug and this new style is just not living up to my expectations. Sadly I will probably be returning it, and scrambling to find a new suitable replacement, or none at all. I have been know to just wait for what I want, especially once my heart is set on something. So we will see how the RUG SAGA sorts itself out, LOL.
Don’t forget, you can catch a sneak peek of the mystery DIY Antique as a subscriber at [wysija_form id=”1″]
As a recap or to bring you up speed, we are updated a basic screened in porch, into a southern sleeping porch. This is the inspiration board for this project:
WEEK 4 PROJECTS:
This weeks project scope was 100% focused on building the day bed for the sleeping porch. Last week, we posted the actual blueprint designs for the pallet daybed. These plans were designed and drawn by my uber talented husband Ron Gainer. You can check them out above in case you missed them. Just as a quick recap we obtain pallets in Week 1, disassembled pallets in Week 2, drew up plans in Week 3 and are now ready to build in Week 4.
This weeks project started with building the base for the mattress, or pallet boxsprings. The base is just a little bit longer than one standard pallet width, mainly because we chose to use a full size mattress, a twin would have been the exact pallet width. A full size mattress run 54 inches wide by 74 inches long.
In order to accommodate this size we were able to split a pallet and attached it to the back side as seen here. Then we replicated this process for the second layer. The next step was to build a frame out of 2×4’s to house the pallet bed frame. This frame work creates the faux head board and side rails of the daybed.
Once we completed the frame we added a plywood backer to make the adhesion of the pallet wood easier. I know this seems like an unnecessary additional step, but as we learned on a previous project, if you have a solid backer surface you can cut the pallet wood to any length.
This will enable you to make a pretty pattern with the wood, instead of being locked in to full size boards that can only be attached at ends. Plus it also makes the frame very sturdy.
The final step in building the bed was cutting the pallet boards at random length and attaching them to the plywood. While attaching the boards keep in mind the more random of the sizes, placement and colors the better. This will help create a that rustic farmhouse look, which is the look we are going for.
This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. You can view my full advertising disclosure here.
Since the bed is very large, for moving purposes, we will assemble the base, frame walls, and sides on the porch, in place. Please keep in mind that this beast is being moved up 3 flights of steps to our screened porch. Prior to moving up to the porch, I will be sealing the pallets with a great new product I found. Weathered Wood Accelerator by Varathane. This product is amazing, with one pass coverage!!! It weathers the all wood both new and old to beautiful gray, brown and black color depending on piece of wood.
Make sure to check in next week as we start to assemble the room for the BIG REVEAL!!! On the agenda for next week: hang curtains, assemble bed, finish up mystery antique item, and get ready for staging.