ONE ROOM CHALLENGE: A SOUTHERN STYLE SLEEPING PORCH
WEEK 2: PROGRESS REPORT
So we are in week two for those of you following along on the spring 2017 One Room Challenge hosted by Linda@Calling It Home and House Beautiful. If you missed WEEK 1 here is our link, so you can catch up. To bring you up speed, we are updated a basic screened in porch, into a southern style sleeping porch. This is the inspiration board for this project:
This week was all about procuring the necessary items to build the pallet day bed, and get the porch sealed up ready for upgrade. So I am know for alway talking about my “7 P’s” which is, ” Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.” (I must call out my friend Karen, that taught me this valuable information at an early age!!!) Well welcome to the “prior proper planning phase” of this project.
We were able to obtain 15 pallets, 6 of which will be used for the bed base and the other 9 will be deconstructed for wood to create the pattern for the arms and back of the day bed. When picking pallets to utilize for furniture or wall treatments, you really want to make sure of two things. 1. What are the pallets are made out of and 2. What did the pallets originally transport. Some pallets have housed potential poisonous substances, while others are made out of wood treated with poisonous substances, and these are not suitable for reuse. 1001 pallets is a great resource for looking up this information and has a great article available at this (article link). I have included a copy of the pallet codes below from 1001 pallets, these are for the wood type used to make the pallets. All of our pallets are HT and were originally used to ship concrete pavers……bet you can’t guess where I got those from….maybe the patio paver project?
So as I mention above we had to deconstruct the 9 of the pallets to reuse the pallet wood for the side arm and back of the day bed. The easiest way to do this is to is by cutting directly through the nails that hold the pallets together. We used a reciprocating saw with a Diablo metal cutting blade, which I highly recommend and made quick work this project. The other project we decided to tackle this week was to seal up the screen porch a little bit better, so no creepy crawlers get in. I am sure many of you know, when a screen porch meet up to the siding on your house a little bitty gap is left which can allow bugs to get in. Now that we are making this a sleeping porch, I have no desire to deal with any kind of bugs getting inside. So we decide to add weather stripping, commonly used on doors and windows, to the seal the gap.
Once installed we caulked the remaining opening to insure that no bugs we be able to get through this gap. I don’t know about you, but I feel much better about sleeping in an area that is all sealed up. I know it will not keep all the bugs out, since it is an outdoor space… but it will keep most of the bugs out.
See, a lot can happen in a week…. Be sure to sign up for our bi monthly newsletter to stay in formed