Instant Pot BBQ Chicken 3 Ways
Instant Pot BBQ Chicken is the way to go if you spent Memorial Day weekend at the pool or lake, in under 12 minutes you can have tasty Barbecue.
Hey guys, I just recently got a brand new Instant Pot. I was so excited when the UPS guy delivered it directly to my door, I was on the phone with my sister in-law and she can totally attest to my sheer excitement. Heck she was pretty excited for me, and immediately started to give me her favorite recipes she had gathered since getting hers at Christmas. At the moment I am still a newbie and just starting to learn all of the functions and operations of this fancy machine, I have to say that I am not a pro…. yet. I can say with out a doubt, that I am pretty sure that me and my new Instant Pot are going to be the the best of friends.
*I was compensated for this post. This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. These involve no extra cost to you, but may result in me receiving a small commission – for which I am very grateful! You can view my full advertising disclosure here.
Like I mentioned above, it can cook things in amazing amounts of time. While I absolutely love my husband’s BBQ chicken from the The Big Green Egg, I can tell you it is a labor of love and takes some planning and time. If you find yourself short on time but still want to eat things with big bold flavors than this might be the answer you are looking for. In 12 minutes you can have tender pulled BBQ chicken fresh from your Insta Pot. After a full day on the lake or in the sun at the pool this might be the easiest way to go.One of the first tricks or hacks I have learned with my Insta Pot is that if you saute’ with it prior to starting the Pressure Cooking method, it takes a lot less time to heat up to temp. So for my BBQ Chicken Recipe I usually add sautéed onions and garlic to to the meat when I pull it, but with my handy dandy Insta Pot it saves me a step and a pan.I sautéed one onion and 2 tbls. of chopped garlic, in 2 tbls of Baklouti Green Chili Olive Oil. I like the extra heat that the green chili oil adds to my BBQ sauce. Layering the flavors like this will really adds some depth to your cooking.Next, I prepare the chicken breasts with our favorite dry rub, from Fox Bros. Bar-B-Q one of the finest local joints here in town. My husband refuses to use anything else, he is 100% brand loyal in this one.Next, we added our chicken breasts. Which in hindsight, I would recommend cutting them into large chunks. Then cover them with 1 1/2 cups of sauce, this can be homemade or store bought, your choice. This is where the magic of Insta Pot happens. Literally in 12 minutes it was done. All you do is wait for the steam to slowly release, which is why I chose to do this on my stove with the exhaust fan on, to avoid any possible steam rings on the ceiling over time. Then the next step is to shred up the chicken. I highly recommend a pair of the meat claws, Cuisinart Meat Pulling/Shredding Claws, they are great for pulled pork, carnitas, barbacoa, and chicken. Then add your reserve sauce, you can use the sauce from the Instant Pot, but I found that the cooking process thins it out a lot. So, you would need to thicken it back up or add it into the reserve sauce. So now dinner is already for an easy BBQ chicken plate or sandwich. I tend to get a little creative with mine like this loaded baked potato topped with BBQ chicken, corn and scallions. You can also check out my recipe for:Cowboy Nachos,which would also be a great dish with the leftovers, if you have any.
Loaded BBQ Chicken Potato
- 2 lbs BBQ Chicken prepared
- 4 Baking Potatos
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 1/2 cup bacon cooked/crumbled
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup scallions
- 4 tbls butter
- 1/2 cup Sharp Cheddar cheese shredded
- Prepare Baking potato by washing skins and placing in a glass baking dish for microwaving. Be sure to poke holes with a fork in all potatoes prior to microwaving.
- Top with butter, salt and pepper to taste
- Add two scoops of BBQ Chicken, top with cheese, corn, bacon, and scallions. Drizzle with BBQ sauce.
In review, after really starting to use my Instant Pot this is the perfect item for a college student, where we used to use hot plates and microwaves. It would also be great for camping trips, dorm rooms Tiny Homes or RV’s.Also be sure to check out more of our great Instant Pot recipes at the 5 Quick Weeknight Instant Pot Dinners post. We have some really great ones your won’t want to miss like my Seafood Paella and Homemade Chicken & Quinoa Soup. Here is one more great BBQ recipe you have to try, my Southern Style BBQ Chicken Tacos! These are truly amazing and one of our all time favorite taco Tuesday dishes!
Southern Style BBQ Chicken Tacos
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 1 sweet onion chopped, (Vidalia onion)
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 4 Tbs Foxx Bros BBQ Spice Rub
- 2 Bottles Foxx Bros BBQ Sauce
- 1 Bag Misson Mini Flour Street Tortillas
- 1 Box Farm Rich Frozen Fried Pickles (perfect in ninja air fryer)
- 1 4 oz Goat Cheese Crumbles
- 1 Can French's Fried Onion Straws
- Set your Instant Pot to Sauté, Add olive and chopped onions, sweat until translucent about 10 minutes.
- Coat chicken breast with spice rub and add to Instant Pot on top of onions. Top with 1 cup of sauce.
- Place lid on Instant Pot and set to high-pressure cook for 18 minutes.
- Place Fried pickles on a baking sheet in oven for 10-15 minutes
- Allow Instant Pot to cool and decompress before opening. Remove chicken and shred meat, in a shallow pan coat all meat with remaining sauce, you may need to open the additional bottle at this point.
- Load Tortillas with pulled chicken, top with a crumbled slice of goat cheese, extra BBQ Sauce, Fried pickles and Onion Straws. Meal suggestions: serve with a side salad & ranch, refried beans or Texas caviar and chips.
Also check out a few of my favorite Instant Pot accessories below like this great storage cover and the wooden Bamboo Spurtles from my friend Debbie, aka Debbiedoos over at Home Pressure Cooking.com . I have also become a weekly guest writer over there for Instant Pot and Airfryer recipes, so be sure to check out her great stuff and all of my fun recipes too!