Squash Casserole Recipe
Hey Y’all, today I am sharing one of our favorite year round sides dishes perfect for any BBQ or Fall Feast, my Squash Casserole.
So this year I had such a bountiful harvest of summer squash that I pulled out all kinds of squash recipes; from grilling, roasting and one of our all time favorites, my semi homemade squash casserole recipe. I call my recipe, semi-homemade, because over the years I have found some quick steps to make this recipe come together a lot quicker for weeknight dinners. The original recipe was a little bit more time consuming, since it required making cornbread bread from scratch and allowing it sit for a few days to get a bit stale. Now I get the best of both worlds, a quick dinner that tastes like my homemade recipe.
Since this is for a quick weeknight dinner, we will be taking some help from a box cornbread stuffing mix as the filler. Honestly, I actually do like Stove Top Cornbread Stuffing mix, especially for fillers. It has a really good seasoning built in, and is a great time saver. However, I will say that I am not really keen on any of the others in their lineup, but the cornbread stuffing is always a staple in our house, for making things like crab cakes, Italian stuffed mushrooms, or even stuffed chicken. I really do use it all the time, when making cornbread from scratch is just too time consuming.This recipe is a One Pan Wonder, made all in a Cast Iron skillet for easy stove to oven service. You will sauté your onion and sliced summer squash into the pan with 3 tbls of butter. Cook for about 3-5 minutes over high heat, to caramelize the onions.
Then remove from the heat and stir in your premixed stuffing, which is: 1 pouch of Stove Top Cornbread Stuffing mixed in 1 1/2 cups of boiling water, allow to stand for 3 minutes. Then stir in 1 egg, 1/3 cup sour cream, and 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese. After you mix the squash and stuffing, top with remaining 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese and 10 crushed Ritz Crackers, top with butter squares. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
Squash Casserole Recipe
- Cast Iron Skillet
- 2-3 large Squash Sliced into coins
- 1 medium Vidalia Onion diced
- 3 + 2 tbsp Butter 3 tbsp for saute, 2 tbsp to dice and top casserole
- 1 box Stove Top Cornbread Stuffing Mix
- 1 1/2 cup Water Boiling
- 1 Egg
- 1/3 cup Sour Cream
- 1 cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese 1/2 cup to mix in Casserole, reserve 1/2 cup to top the casserole
- 10 Ritz Crackers crushed
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Saute' the onion and sliced squash in cast iron pan with 3 tbls of butter.
- Cook for about 3-5 minutes over high heat to caramelize the onions.
- Then turn off the heat stir in your premixed stuffing.
- To make mix 1 pouch of Stove Top Cornbread Stuffing mixed in 1 1/2 cups of boiling water, allow to stand for 3 minutes. Then stir in 1 egg, 1/3 cup sour cream, and 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese.
- After you mix the squash and stuffing top with remaining 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese and 10 crushed Ritz Crackers, top with butter squares.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
This dish pairs nicely with barbeque of all kinds, roasted chicken or turkey, and country fried steak. I also love a good veggie plate, which this acts as my main dish, for a meatless Monday, just add some green beans, and a few roasted sweet potatoes, YUM!