Roasted Apple Parsnip Couscous
Looking for a new Fall or Thanksgiving side dish with a little flare? Try my Roasted Apple Parsnip Couscous, it is sure to be a delight.
JUMP TO RECIPE
Maybe traditional stuffing or cornbread dressing is not your thing? Or maybe this year you promised to try a new side dish with a few more vegetables, aside from the basic green bean casserole? Well, my Roasted Apple Parsnip Couscous may just fit the bill. This is such a delicious option that uses fresh fruits and vegetables that are currently in season this time of year, along with it being low calorie this savory dish can be cooked in the both the Instant Pot and Ninja Air Fryer, all in one recipe to save you time. Of course, you will want to wash and dry all your fresh produce. Then peel your parsnips, just as you would a carrot, and cut into thin disks. Repeat the process for your apples, I personally decided to leave the peels on my apples, since we like the extra fiber, that is up to you.Liberally coat with 1 tbsp of olive oil, and half of the spices listed in the recipe, which are minced thyme leaves, salt, cinnamon, and smoked paprika. Roast in the Air Fryer at 390 degrees until crisp, approximately 10-12 minutes (or you can bake at 350 degrees in a traditional oven on a baking sheet, if you do not have an Air Fryer, for 25-30 minutes). Be sure to check them halfway through the cooking time and toss the mix around to ensure even cooking.While your veggies are cooking, add 1 tbsp olive oil to your Instant Pot on the sauté setting, or stock pot. Add in garlic, diced onions, and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring until onions are softened and translucent approximately 2-3 minutes. Then add in the chicken sausage and brown for an additional 5 minutes.
You should not have any excess grease with the chicken sausage, but if you do I recommend straining it off.
Deglaze your pot by stirring in 2 cup of stock, along with the the zest of 1 orange and lemon. Pour in your mixture of the couscous, and remaining spices. Seal and set your Instant Pot to cook at manual high pressure, for 10 minutes. If using a stock pot bring to boil, cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 20 minutes. Allow venting to happen naturally, do not quick release in your Instant Pot. When it’s no longer venting on its own, press the button to release any leftover pressure. Then stir in sour cream while hot.Place into a pretty serving bowl and layer with AirFryer roasted veggies, top with walnuts, fresh parsley and a squeeze of orange juice and remaining orange zest.
Roasted Apple Parsnip Couscous
- 1 Stock Pot or Instant Pot
- 1 Baking Sheet or Air Fryer
- 1 Knife
- 1 Cutting Board
- 1 Vegetable Peeler
- 1 Apple Corer
- 1 Measuring Spoons
- 1 Measuring Cups
- 1 Wooden Spoon or Spatula
- 1 Serving Dish of Choice
- 2 medium Medium Apples, Gala or Macintosh, Cored and thinly sliced into half moons
- 2 medium Parsnips Peeled and thinly sliced into disks
- 2 cups Couscous Israeli Pearl Couscous makes a hearty option
- 2 cups Chicken Stock
- 1/2 cup Ocean Spray Cran Cherry Craisins
- 2 tbsp Cinnamon divided for each part of recipe
- 2 tbsp Smoked Paprika divided for each part of recipe
- 2 tsp Salt divided for each part of recipe
- 4 tbsp Fresh Thyme, stems removed
- 1 Red Onion, peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp Garlic, minced
- 1 lb Chicken Sausage, ground Tip- Applewood Smoked is great
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil divided for each part of recipe
- 6 tbsp Sour Cream
- 2 Oranges, Zested save juice for serving or cocktails
- 1 Lemon, Zested
- 6 tbsp Fresh Parsley Garnish only
- 1/2 cup Walnuts
- salt & pepper to taste
- Roast in oven at 350 for 25-30 minutes, or save time in your Air Fryer at 390 degrees until crisp, 10-12 minutes. Be sure to check on these during cooking as toss the mix around for even cooking.
- While veggies are cooking, place 1 tbsp olive oil to stock pot or Instant Pot on the saute setting. Add in your garlic, diced onions and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring until onions are softened and translucent approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Then add in the chicken sausage and brown an additional 5 minutes.Then deglaze the pot by stirring in 2 cup of stock.
- Add in the Ocean Spray Cran Cherry Craisins, along with the lemon and orange zest from 1 orange. Then pour in your mix of the couscous, and remaining half of spices-mince thyme, salt, cinnamon and smoked paprika.
- Cover stock pot or Seal and set you Instant Pot to cook at manual high pressure, for 10 minutes. Allow to vent naturally then stir in sour cream while hot. Place into bowl and layer with AirFryer roasted veggies, top with walnuts, fresh parsley and top with 4 tbsp of fresh orange juice and remain orange zest.
I hope you all have a safe and happy holiday season. If you loved this post, check out some of our other great Thanksgiving Recipes:
We hope you enjoyed this little fall recipe idea. Sign up for future recipe ideas and more seasonal inspirations, here at our Email updates at this link!
Oh my. My mouth started watering just reading the title! Something about Fall cooking just brings me all the vibes I need in my life.
This looks so good! I always enjoy dishes with apples.
It sounds delicious, I need to make it for lunch asap, it sounds perfect for fall
This is really great! I’d love to try this soon! Just not sure where to get Couscous!
I am so glad that this recipe resonates with you! I hope you enjoy it!
Me too I love mixing sweet and savory in unexpected ways!
You are right this make a great meal too! It can also be used for a fun side dish if you are traveling for the holidays and need a new recipe to share!
Hey Nadalie I picked mine up at Publix in the rice aisle they have both regular and the Israeli couscous which is a larger chewy version which we love!
This looks absolutely amazing! I need to make it
Tisha let me know how it turns out for you! I hope you enjoy it!
This couscous is the perfect ‘wow factor dish that adds something special to your holiday meal.
Thanks sometimes it is nice to add a new dish for the holidays with a seasonal flavors!
Neat post. I am not a big parsnip fan but the roasted apples sound good.
Thank you for sharing this recipe with us. I believe this website truly stands out along with your tasty food dishes : D.