Meal Planning 4 Easy Weeknight Dinners
Here are some of my favorite go to’s when meal planning, 4 Easy Weeknight Dinners.
We are all so busy these days, which makes Meal Planning Easy Weeknight Dinners such a great time saver for you and your family. These are just a few of my favorites that will save you time, either by using an Instant Pot, or my One Sheet Wonder Techniques.
1- CREAMY CHICKEN & WILD RICE
This recipe is based off the Pioneer Jar soup gift jar recipe that people give at the holidays as neighborly gift. One of my sweet friends, Erin, always makes a batch of these every year. I love the base soup so much that I have doctored it up to create a heartier version for more of a meal verses a soup. I tend to call this recipe more of a stoup than a soup, because it is thicker than a traditional soup. By adding loads of chunked chicken breast. Along with an additional wild rice, a bag of mirepoix, and a fresh mix of mushrooms like shiitakes or even Portobellos on occasions, which lend a nice beefy texture. Then by using the Instant Pot it speeds up the cooking time by half and does all the heavy lifting for me.
Creamy Chicken & Wild Rice
- 1 bag Mirepoix frozen- carrots, onion, celery mix
- 1 lb Chicken Diced or chunked
- 8 oz Mushrooms Any Kind roughly chopped (I used Shiitake Mushrooms for texture)Portobellos or Buttons can be used
- 1 cup Brown Rice or white
- 1/2 cup Wild Rice
- 32 oz Chicken Broth or to your fill line of your Instant Pot
- 2 tbsp Garlic minced
- 1 envelope Pioneer Sausage Grave Mix
- 2 tbsp Butter Flavored Olive Oil
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 2 tbsp Knorr Chicken Bouillon
- 1 tbsp Penzey's Season Salt
- Add Seasoned Chicken (with seasoned salt) and Mirepoix to Instant Pot and Saute' with olive oil for 10 minutes.
- Then place all ingredient into the Instant Pot, except for the gravy mix and milk.
- Only fill with stock to just below your Instant Pot's fill line, you may have stock in reserve with can be used to thin at the end. Stir to combine.
- Cover, seal the lid, and cook on manual/high pressure for 20 minutes.
- When finished, allow to vent naturally this may take 10 minutes, then use the quick release function to vent steam remaining steam.
- While cooking mix gravy mix, and milk in separate bowl, to make a roux.
- Pour the roux into the Instant Pot, after venting stir everything together to combine well. If too thick you can add any remaining stock too thin to desired consistency. Serve and enjoy!
2- Tortilla Soup
This recipe is for your Taco Tuesday on the go, so you could try a version of my simple Instant Pot Tortilla Soup. This is one of our steady go to recipes that has a ton of flavor and easily pairs perfectly with quesadilla’s for dipping or just chips and salsa to keep it light. Filled with hearty chunks of chicken and tons of vegetables this one is winner all the time and very figure friendly too. Perfect for all my weight watchers gals out there at only 200 calories a bowl, if you leave off the optional garnishes like sour cream, cheese and avocado.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil Cilantro & Onion
- 1 Onion small (Vidalia onion) minced
- 2 tbsp Garlic minced
- 2 Jalapeños
- 4 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 14.5 Fire Roasted Tomatoes diced
- 1 14.5 Spicy Black Beans lightly drained
- 1 14.5 Corn drained, rinsed
- 1 lb Chicken breasts diced or sliced, (you can cook whole then shred if you have time)
- 2 Limes
- 1/4 cup Rice
- 1 Avocado sliced or chunked for garnish
- 1 cup Shredded Mexican style cheese garnish
- 1 cup Cilantro fresh, rough cut
- 1 bag Tortilla chips or strips garnish only
Place Instant Pot on Saute setting, add the chicken, onions, and garlic to the pot. Once browned after 5-7 minutes turn off pot.
Pour the chicken stock over the corn, tomatoes, beans, jalpenos and rice.
Place the lid on, lock it, and cook the mixture on manual high pressure for 10 minutes.
Let the pressure release naturally for about 10 minutes. Serve into bowls and squeeze with half a lime. Top with cheese, chip strips, avocado, and cilantro. You can also add sour cream and salsa if you wish.
3- Pasta Ronaldo
This recipe is named for my husband since I created it and he loved it. It is a basic one pot wonder kind of Mediterranean style, pasta dish. It contains chicken or you could use shrimp or a mixture of both. Pine nuts, feta cheese, mushrooms, black olives and sun dried tomatoes. I used to create this with a jarred pesto sauce but now I create my own which can be seen in the Herbivore Harvest post. You can also just use a brown butter sauce as seen in this recipe card as well. It is a very forgiving recipe that can be slightly altered based upon what you currently have in your pantry, which makes it an easy weekend night go too. Plus it is ready in minutes and tastes amazing.
- 1 lb Chicken Breast diced
- 16 oz Pasta- Trottole
- 2 tbsp Garlic minced
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil (Tuscan Variety)
- 2 tsp Organo fresh
- 2 tsp Rosemary
- 1 tsp Basil
- 4 oz Pine Nuts toasted
- 8 oz Feta Cheese
- 4 oz Mushrooms
- 1/2 cup Black Olive sliced
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese sliced or grated
- 4 oz Sun Dried Tomatoes
- 4 tbsp Butter cubed
- 1 jar Pesto Sauce I like Classico - if you are not making from scratch with my Pesto Recipe
- Boil water for pasta, add dash of salt drop pasta for 9-12 depending on desired consistency. Drain
- In a wok pan add, oil to brown chicken, add herbs, sun dried tomatoes and pine nuts, lightly toast.
- Toss in pasta with butter and then add mushrooms and olives.
- Remove from heat add in feta cheese and top with parmesan.
4- SOUTHWESTERN CHICKEN CHILI MAC
This is always a great staple and now with the Instant Pot it is literally ready in minutes. I like this white bean chicken version since it is lighter and and bit more calorie friendly, while still providing all the flavors that I love. Best part is if you have leftovers you can easily make a chili mac putting it over 1 cup of elbow macaroni and topping it with some sharp cheddar cheese. If you are like my husband he likes to add fresh minced onions and oyster crackers to the top of his chili mac while, I stir in a spoon full of sour cream.
Southwestern Chicken Chili
- 1 tbsp Baklouti Green Chili Pepper Olive Oil
- 1 lb Ground Chicken
- 1 Onion minced, sweet vidalia
- 1 Green Pepper minced
- 1 Jalapeños fresh, minced
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 1 tbsp Garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 2 can Cannellini Beans drained & rinsed
- 1/2 cup Cilantro chopped fresh
- 1/2 tsp Oregano fresh
- 1 16oz Chicken Broth
- 1/4 cup Corn Mesa can use cornstarch
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup Mexican Cheese Blend (nacho/taco)
Turn instant pot on to saute, add the oil. Once the oil is hot, add the ground chicken, onions, peppers, dry seasonings and cook until meat is no longer pink.
Drain any excess grease if necessary.
Turn the Instant Pot off then add 2 tbsp cilantro, and the remaining ingredients. Stir to combine.
Set the instant pot to manual, high pressure for 15 minutes.
Allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, then quick release.
OPTIONAL: In a small bowl mix together the corn mesa (or cornstarch) and water until smooth and immediately whisk into hot chili. Allow to thicken for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with shredded cheese, fresh cilantro and sour cream.
I love my Purple Trail planner I ordered last Christmas so it only makes sense that I would try out their meal planners too. They have a handy layout where you can out your meals and your shopping list for the week. Of course like the planners they are all customizable so you can add sections you want to create the planner you need all online before you order.
They also have a ton of of really cute patterns or you can even upload your own pictures too for a more custom look. You can choose from a bound book style or ringed binder style, so really the possibilities are endless. These are make great gift ideas as I mention last season with my Proper, Proper, Planning, Gift Giving Post. Plus by using my special my friends and family link here: JENRON DESIGNS can you Save $10 off your order of $50 or more. Plus you always get free shipping on all orders over $75 so think about getting you planner and maybe your holiday cards too.
PIN ME for later and be sure to follow us on Pinterest at Jen @ JENRON DESIGNS